NCSO Deputies respond to a structure fire in Clay Springs

Holbrook, AZ: On 01/07/18 Deputies responded to a reported structure fire located on Hollyhock St in Claysprings.

Upon our arrival the Claysprings Fire Department were first on scene and fighting the fire. It was reported it appeared there was a possible explosion from the residence just prior to the fire.

Deputies were able to locate some of the occupants of the residence who were at a nearby residence. Initial reports from the occupants are that the fire started in the fireplace and chimney.

In this preliminary investigation the homeowner, has not been located as of this time and she has not been seen since approximately 1 hour prior to the fire.

This is an active investigation at this time and is being conducted by NCSO Criminal investigations, Timber Mesa Fire Department and the Clay springs Fire Department.

We are asking the public to avoid the area while our investigation team is working at the residence for the safety of the firefighters and our criminal investigations team.

Further information will be provided as it is obtained from our on-scene investigators.

The Sheriff’s Office would like to remind our citizens of the following fire safety tips.

• Furnaces, fireplaces and chimneys should be cleaned and checked each year by an appropriate professional prior to using. Clear away any clutter from these heating devices, at least 3 feet away.

• Only use seasoned wood in fireplaces and never use ignitable liquids to start a fire.
• The 3-foot rule also applies to furnaces and fireplaces. No combustibles within 3 feet of these heating appliances.

• Dispose of fireplace ash into a metal container and store outdoors away from structures on a concrete surface. Fireplace ash can ignite a fire days after they have been discarded.

• Finally, ensure your smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms are working by pushing the test button on the front cover. If you do not hear an audible warning, replace your alarm with a new 10-year, tamper proof, with hush feature alarm. Having a working smoke alarm dramatically increases your chances of surviving a fire. A working CO detector will protect you and your family from deadly “silent killer” fumes that may be building up in your home. Remember to practice a home escape plan frequently with your family.